J. Armand Musey, CFA
Areas of Expertise
- Economic Damages Analysis
- Litigation Support & Investigation
- Business Valuation
- Intangible Asset Valuation
- Wireless Telecommunications
- Wireline Telecommunications
- Media and Entertainment
- J.D., Northwestern University (cum laude)
- M.B.A., Northwestern University (Kellogg)
- M.A., Columbia University
- B.A., University of Chicago (with honors)
J. Armand Musey, CFA
- Armand Musey President and Founder of Summit Ridge Group. He has over 15 years of equity research, investment banking, and consulting experience. Armand has completed dozens of financial valuation, strategic analysis, business development, corporate governance, and business plan creation assignments in the communications industry and has experience working on numerous financing and M&A transactions. His projects include leading Summit Ridge Group’s support of the U.S. Department of Justice’s Antitrust division’s review of the proposed T-Mobile/Sprint merger. Armand’s involvement with a wide breadth of companies has allowed him to develop a deep understanding of a range of media and telecom issues and the complex web of relationships underlying the sector’s competitive dynamics and associated regulatory issues. His legal background allows him to understand the heavily regulated telecom sector. During litigation support assignments, Armand’s legal background also allows him to quickly digest legal documents and identify industry issues likely to be most relevant to the legal team he supports.
- Prior to founding Summit Ridge Group, Armand led the satellite industry research teams for Banc of America Securities, and later Solomon Smith Barney where he also covered the wireless tower industry. He earned numerous honors as a research analyst including being named to the Institutional Investor “All American” team three times (2000-2002) and the Wall Street Journal “All-Star” team. He was ranked as the top satellite industry analyst by Greenwich Associates. He was previously president of a boutique investment bank specializing in the satellite, media, and telecom industries.
- Armand regularly speaks at major industry conferences and has been frequently quoted in leading trade publications and by national publications as an expert in communications finance and corporate governance. He authored the highly regarded publication The Spectrum Handbook 2018 and his recent industry research has been published in leading law journals. Armand is a member of the Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA) and is a co-chair of its New York chapter (2016-present). He is also a member of the New York Society of Securities Analysts where he chaired the Corporate Governance Committee from 2007-2009 (vice-chair 2005-2007), the CFA Institute and the American Society of Appraisers (ASA) where he serves on the board of its New York Chapter (2017-2019), and the American Bankruptcy Institute.
- Armand’s interests include classical music, post-modern philosophy, and mountain climbing. He served on the board of the Riverside Symphony (2008-2010) and as treasurer of the board of the Foucault Society (2005-2009). He is also a member of the National Arts Club. In 2008, Armand completed a longtime goal of climbing the highest peak on each of the seven continents (the “Seven Summits”), with a successful ascent of Mt. Everest.