We believe it important to demonstrate our thought leadership via publications that showcase our industry expertise and other industry presentations. It builds credibility for our valuation work, particularly expert witness testimony. It also creates a dialogue with other industry leaders that results in a feedback loop allowing us to continually update and improve our industry insights.
- The Spectrum Handbook 2018, Summit Ridge Group (October 2018). Authors: J. Armand Musey and E. Barlow Keener. 392 pages (124 figures, 446 footnotes) Buy on Amazon >>
- The Spectrum Handbook 2013, Summit Ridge Group (August 2013). Author: J. Armand Musey. 182 pages. Buy on Amazon >>
- The Satellite Report 1999, C.E. Unterberg Towbin (April 1999). Authors: J. Armand Musey, William B.F. Kidd and Patrick Fuhrmann. 457 pages.
- Auction 107 (C-Band): Policy Overview and Closing Bid Price Analysis of Expedited Access due to $9.7B in Accelerated Relocation Payments to Incumbent Satellite Operators. (July 2022). Presented at the Telecom Policy Research Conference 2022 ("TPRC 2022"). Authors: Pranavi Boyalakuntla,; Stanford University, School of Engineering, Department of Electrical Engineering; Gati Aher, Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering; Phillip Post, Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering; Grant Miner, Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering; Lieselotte Heinrich, Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering; Yuxiang Mao, Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering; J. Armand Musey, Summit Ridge Group, LLC; Whitney Lohmeyer, Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering.
- Overestimating Wireless Demand: Policy and Investment Implications of Upward Bias in Mobile Data Forecasts. CommLaw Conspectus: Journal of Communications Law and Policy (Spring 2015). 23 CommLaw Conspectus 300. Authors: Aalok Mehta and J. Armand Musey, CFA
- Right-sizing Spectrum Auction Licenses: The Case for Smaller Geographic License Areas in the TV Broadcast Incentive Auction COMM/ENT: Hastings Communications and Entertainment Law Journal (Spring 2015). 37 Hastings Comm. & Ent. L.J. 231 (2015). Authors: William H. Lehr, Ph.D., and J. Armand Musey, CFA.
- A Public Interest Perspective on Local Number Portability: Consumers, Competition and Other Risks. New America Foundation, Open Technology Institute (2015). Authors: J. Armand Musey, CFA and Michael Calabrese.
- Broadcasting Licenses: Ownership Rights and the Spectrum Rationalization Challenge Columbia Science and Technology Law Review (Spring 2012). 13 Colum. Sci & Tech. L. Rev. (2012). Author: J. Armand Musey, CFA.
- How the Traditional Property Rights Model Informs the Television Broadcasting Spectrum Rationalization Challenge COMM/ENT: Hastings Communications and Entertainment Law Journal (Spring 2012). 34 Hastings Comm. & Ent. L.J. 145 (2012). Author: J. Armand Musey, CFA.
- Update on the Current State of Lease Accounting for Financial Reporting Purposes, Subtel Forum Magazine (March 15, 2021). Article by William Redpath.
- Satellite Bankruptcies Circa 2000 vs. 2020: We've Come a Long Way!, SpaceNews Magazine (March 15, 2021). Article by J. Armand Musey.
- Orbital Debris and the Threat to Industry Investment, SpaceNews Magazine (October 23, 2020). Article by J. Armand Musey.
- The FSS Sector and the LEO-GEO Stalemate, SpaceNews Magazine (September 10, 2018). Article by J. Armand Musey.
- Should High-Throughput Satellites Really Last 15 Years? SpaceNews Magazine (August 29, 2016). Article by J. Armand Musey.
- From the Ground Up While President of Near Earth LLC, Mr. Musey wrote monthly articles and oversaw the production of a widely read monthly newsletter with analysis of issues in the satellite communications, media, and telecommunications industries. (November 2005 to April 2007)
- Via Satellite Mr. Musey wrote a monthly financial column for the leading satellite trade magazine, Via Satellite, titled “Dollars and Sense.” (August 1999 to March 2003)
- The Satellite Model Book, Salomon Smith Barney (Second Quarter 2001 until Third Quarter 2002). Article by J. Armand Musey.
- Payload Monthly, Banc of America Securities (October 1999 until February 2001). Article by J. Armand Musey.
- The Bus Tour; A Quantitative Overview of the Satellite Industry, Banc of America Securities (Third Quarter 1999 until First Quarter 2000). Mr. Musey wrote a series of market projections on the satellite industry.
- Hotbird Monthly; Monthly Satellite Industry Update, C.E. Unterberg, Towbin (December 1999 until April 2000).
Wall Street Research
While working as a top-ranked research analyst, Mr. Musey published highly regarded analyses on the satellite communications and cellular tower industries. He issued reports containing financial analysis, market analysis, strategic analysis, valuation opinions, buy/sell recommendations as well as quarterly earnings estimates. From 1997 to 2003, he published virtually every week, usually multiple times a week. His list of equity research publications exceeds 500 reports. Below is a selection of his publications. He was the lead author on all of the reports except where noted.
- IPTV – The Future of Television?, Near Earth LLC, July 2006 (41 pages).
- Analysis of the Fixed Service Satellite Industry, Near Earth LLC, July 2006 (38 pages).
- Analysis of the GEO Satellite Manufacturing Industry, Near Earth LLC, July 2006 (27 pages).
- DBS Industry Update; Revisiting the Hughes EchoStar Merger, Salomon Smith Barney, June 13, 2002. 39 pages.
- Equity in the Balance, Aligning Balance Sheet Risk with Equity Valuations, Salomon Smith Barney, May 23, 2002. 50 pages.
- The Guide to Fixed-Satellite Service, Salomon Smith Barney, November 2001. 136 pages.
- DARS Duopoly; The Dawn of a New Age in Radio, Banc of America Securities, October 1999. 107 pages.
- The Big 3; Hughes, Loral and Orbital Sciences – The Role of Diversified Satellite Operators at the Turn of the Millennium, Banc of America Securities, October 1999. 336 pages.
- The Satellite Book, C.E. Unterberg Towbin, First Quarter 1999. 54 pages.
Pegasus Communications, C.E. Unterberg Towbin, January 19, 1999. 53 pages.
- The Global Satellite Marketplace, Merrill Lynch, April 1998 246 pages. Thomas W. Watts was the senior analyst on this report.
- Hughes Electronics; SatCom Blue Chip, Merrill Lynch, March 20, 1998. 83 pages. Thomas W. Watts was the senior analyst on this report.
- CD Radio, Inc. Merrill Lynch, July 14, 1998. 10 pages. Thomas W. Watts was the senior analyst on this report.